[Public-list] inboard v. outboard

Lincoln Finkenberg finkenbergl at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 12:29:08 PDT 2005

I have a stern mounted outboard - 4 wee little holes
in the hull and one ugly contortion hanging off the
back. But I love to sail - and I my old grey marine
was the most unreliable peace of garbage I've ever had
to deal with - it made the first three years of
sailing on Gypsy stressful. I spent more having that
engine "fixed" than I did in mounting a brand new 9.9
hp 4 stroke (high torque) extra long shaft Yamaha -
which has a 3:1 gear ratio to allow for a big prop to
push a big boat.  It bounces out of the water at slow
and creeping speeds - as I approach the mooring pickup
for example.  Even in a bad chop it doesn't jump out
of the water unless its not making headway- once the
boat is moving 3+ knots - the outboard digs in - in
fact I can't rev it to max speed b/c it digs in so far
it creates too much drag and looks precariously close
to dunking.  You don't need cockpit controls - I don't
have em.  I steer with the cockpit tiller -- upon
close and tight manuvering I steer wth the outboard.
In real tight manuvering I steer with both.  It cost
me $2300 for the engine, $1250 for bracket and
install, and $375 for garland lift bracket. I really
would have liked to put a Yanmar inboard in Gypsy –
but given my circumstances it didn’t make sense.  In
the end - you wont win beauty contests with it hanging
off the stern – but you'll sail w/o a worry for old
unreliable.

Linc, Gypsy