[Public-list] Emergency Request for help with a part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu Sep 22 11:08:58 PDT 2005

Hey,

The dreaded play in the tiller............. I took the rudder post head
fittings apart to find the rudder post cap has two cracks in it, which explained
why tightening the fastening bolts did not eliminate the play. The cracks are
about 1/8" long, extending verticaly up from the bottom of the cap sleeve.

Stargazer is a 1967 boat. This rudder post cap fitting is secured to the
rudder post two ways;
-a tightening bolt on the aft face of the cap which squeezes the cap on to
the rudder post, and
-a short 1/2" SS bolt that threads through the forward face of the cap
fitting, and then threads into a hole in the forward face of the rudder  post.

The rudder post seems fine. There is no play in the thread for the 1/2"  bolt.

I went to Edson here in New Bedford, and they had a rudder post cap and
gooseneck fitting which would fit the rudder post, but, their fitting is fixed  by
a key, slotted into the fitting and the rudder post. To use it, I would have
to slot the rudder post, or drill a hole through the fitting, very
accurately,  and tap it, to take the bolt. I'm not sure their fitting is thick enough at
the  point where the bolt would go to hold the thread. I would sure rather
not have  to start messing with the rudder post, to try to cut in a groove for a
key, or  drill an athwartship hole through it to put a bolt athwartships
through cap and  post, it I don't have to.

I'm sure if my rudder post cap has failed, other A 30 owners have suffered
the same fate.
What did you guys do?

Can't sail until I get this fixed, so any help, as soon as possible, is
greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!
One more joy of owning a 40 year old boat, I guess,
Thx,
Lee
Stargazer #255