[Public-list] Inboard Replacement

J. Brown scuttle1 at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 11 12:52:09 PDT 2005

There are several A30's with outboards, some famous (like Hull #1 and
Jean-du-Sud) and some not so famous (like Bones). Each one of these used a
different approach but seem to like the cost effectiveness, simplicity and
extra storage space.  #1 has the outboard mounted in the lazarette or stern
locker or so I have been told (haven't seen it myself, just a pic). It uses
a fixed mount so the tailshaft is always in the water (I figure that is a
negative) which might be OK (IMHO) if it didn't stick up past the deck. The
hatch cover cannot be closed and I believe that #1 used a canvas cover to
hide and protect the top of the motor. This mount would, it seems to me to
be the best to address the problem of the prop coming out of the water in
rough seas.

Jean-du-Sud used a side mount which hides quite well (better than I thought
it would) but he still had problems with the prop coming out of the water
and I figure no matter which side you mounted it on it would still get in
the way sometimes. I have often wondered how this design would work if the
motor was allowed to move up and down on the waves but a 100lb motor would
need quite a bit of floatation and might just mean it gets swamped more often.

Bones has the outboard mounted on the stern and this seems to be easiest,
quickest and cheapest solution. It would have a problem with the prop
coming out of the water but if you don't motor in rough seas then you won't
have a problem. Bones has not had any issue with the prop coming out of the
water but having used outboards in the past I think they will at some point.

I would suggest trying the stern mount at first. That complete set up can
be done for only a few hundred dollars (cheap used small outboard) and will
get you in and out of most harbors. While under sail and docked the small
motor can be stored in a locker. If you like the stern mount then spend the
money on a more permanent set up with the Nissan (nice and light) or
consider the stern locker (lazarette).

Here is a link to some of the research I've done on the topic.
http://www.jb0713.com/sail/engine/comparingoutboards.htm

jb