[Public-list] Inboard Replacement

dickdurk at atlanticbb.net dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Sun Sep 11 15:48:53 PDT 2005

>The first, is cost. I estimate that a diesel conversion
>will cost around 8 - 10 thousand dollars and with grad school, kids braces,
>and life I can't afford that.

I think you are close to comparing apples and oranges
here. That Nissan outboard is, what-around $1800? There
have been periodically on this list Atomic 4's going for
around $3500. 1. At some point one has to factor in
destroying the resale value of the boat as a hidden cost.
2. I would expect a whole bunch of used boat equipment to
be showing up up on E-Bay the next 4-9 months, compliments
of Katrina. A diesel that rolls over and has good
compression for a couple grand is a deal, even if it has
gone through a hurricane.

  >The second reason is ease of maintenance. A
>new outboard is in my mind more reliable and more easily >repaired - or taken
>to a repair shop - than is an inboard.

I don't find outboards to be reliable at all. Your Grey
marine is what 35 years old? No outboard will match that
life expectancy; Your Alberg will go another 35, easy.

My .02
Michael Grosh