[Public-list] Inboard Replacement

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 11 20:39:37 PDT 2005

John;
    I have had the experience of having to repower a friend's Alberg 22, and the
only modern engine that will fit that lazarette without cutting the hull or
redesigning the lazarette cover is the Nissan 9.9 hp., 2 stroke and it will
allow for an electric start. This motor  is just big enough for an Alberg that
weighs 4000 lbs in a 2 foot wave chop. A 3 gallon tank of fuel lasts about 6
miles with a 22.  I don't think a 9.9 hp motor will be at all satisfactory for
you in a 30, however you mount it,  on either the Detroit or St Clair Rivers if
there is any current against you, never mind waves. As mentioned above, the
lazarette on this 22 needs to be open with the motor operating. Even with the
exhaust through the prop and 3 extra air vents, there is still not enough air
flow to keep the motor running if the lid is shut. It should be noted that
Alberg 22 owners are  having some trouble with their old 6.5 or 7.5 hp Evinrudes
and Johnsons now giving less than reliable prerformances. But then again, they
were not designed or proped to push a 4000 pound sailboat, so 25 to 35 years is
not bad. Like George, though,  I don't think modern outboard motors will last
that long,  especially if they are not designed for the load.
    The only bright thing about a Nissan 9.9 is that they do have a standard
prop. available  for 6.5 feet per second, which is about what you need.
    My suggestion would be to find either a Gray Marine or an Atomic 4 that is
rebuildable and do that over the winter. It will be the cheapest, easiest fix
and most satisfactory in the end.
Don Campbell