[Public-list] Inboard Replacement

John a30blueteal at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 16:42:05 PDT 2005

I'll chime in and recommend against using an outboard, particularly on a
transom mounted bracket. I've had two sailboats with this installation...
and never again. When I REALLY needed the engine, it spent half of it's time
out of the water spinning around like a demented egg beater. Note that my
outboards were both mounted on a straight transom - on a counter stern I
suspect it would be worse.
 Cutting a hole in the hull for a lazarette installation wouldn't be an
option for me for the reasons George stated. Even with a lazarette
installation, I suspect you'd have problems with the propeller coming out of
the water in steep chop.
 After pricing out the cost of the outboard, external controls,
installation, etc., and factoring in the detrimental effects to your resale
value, rebuilding the existing engine could be a very attractive option.