[Public-list] Inboard Replacement

Joseph E Traub jtraub at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 12 08:40:02 PDT 2005

John:  Besides my A30 #33 Zipalong, I have a 1/2 interest in an Allied 24 Greenwich(#57).  That boat is of similar design and previous owners had installed an outboard in the lazarette.  I can provide pictures later in the week.   The cutout for the engine is on the angle slope between the stern and the rudder.  Then a 2 x 8 was glassed into the compartment for the motor mount.  During our rehab (of the boat) we had to replace the added motor mount and re-glass the whole compartment.  This method works OK with the Allied, but water does fill the compartment when standing at the rear of the boat, due to low freeboard.  Also sorry I missed you after the race in Mackinaw this summer--we watched some of the boats finish.  We are in Cheboygan.
                                                                 Joe

"Manza, LtCol John LTC PM LAV" <john.manza at us.army.mil> wrote:

After screwing around for a few seasons with my old Gray Marine inboard, I
am going to replace the engine with an outboard. There are a few key
reasons for this. The first, is cost. I estimate that a diesel conversion
will cost around 8 - 10 thousand dollars and with grad school, kids braces,
and life I can't afford that. The second reason is ease of maintenance. A
new outboard is in my mind more reliable and more easily repaired - or taken
to a repair shop - than is an inboard. With all of that in mind, I now am
struggling with the decision as to where to put the outboard. One option is
on the stern. I don't like this because it is ugly and because I am worried
about the prop coming out of the water and the engine swamping in high seas.
The other option is to place the engine in the lazarette. Some models of
the Alberg 22 came with a well mount for an outboard as did the Sparkman and
Stevens Yankee Dolphin. I also recently read an article about a similar
boat to the A30 having an outboard installed in the lazarette - see
http://www.atomvoyages.com/projects/outboard.htm
. The engine that I am
looking at is a 9.8 hp Nissan extra long shaft. My question is - has
anybody in this group done this?

John Manza