[Public-list] Inboard Replacement

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Tue Sep 20 10:50:31 PDT 2005

In a message dated 9/12/2005 11:41:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jtraub at sbcglobal.net writes:

The  other option is to place the engine in the lazarette. Some models of
the  Alberg 22 came with a well mount for an outboard as did the Sparkman  and
Stevens Yankee Dolphin. I also recently read an article about a  similar
boat to the A30 having an outboard installed in the lazarette -  see
http://www.atomvoyages.com/projects/outboard.htm
. The engine that I  am
looking at is a 9.8 hp Nissan extra long shaft. My question is -  has
anybody in this group done this?

Hi John,

I had an A22 before Stargazer. Lovely boat. The outboard in the well worked
OK, but it had it's problems. In rough weather with the boat pitching, when
the  stern went down, the well filled up. I think the engine was submerged
sometimes,  and it was only that it was an excellent Yamaha outboard that had a
waterproof  cover, with an air inlet that had a ball valve in it, that kept the
engine  running. I considered lifting the mount higher to avoid this problem,
but that  would have created more problems, such as the prop being closer to
the surface  and coming out of the water on pitches, and the top of the engine
then  protruding above deck level.

I had to repower Stargazer, and I found a rebuilt Volvo MD11C for under a
grand. The engine is running fine. Bill Moore is a semi retired diesel mechanic
who rebuilds small diesels as a 'hobby'. He is in Berkely Mass, and his phone
is  508 824 3947. Very nice guy.

Hope this helps,
Lee
Stargazer, #255