[Public-list] Prepare for Hurricane Olivia

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Wed Sep 14 08:47:58 PDT 2005

Hi Tom,
Sounds like you have most of the bases covered. Suggest sliding unslit Water
hose over the lines, fabric reinforced type, drilled for a light line to
hold it in place at all chocks and chafe points.
Below is our Marina's suggested procedures - if you are on a mooring some
might not apply - personally, I think a mooring is idea for extreme weather,
so long as the chain is in good shape and the anchor large enough. Our
marina has floating docks and no tide hence the line tensioning suggestion.

Notice: All LaSalle Park Marina Users

Weather Advisory:

As you are aware, Hurricane Katrina is now battering Louisiana and its path,
though weakened, is projected to pass near our region about midweek
(Wednesday / Thursday). For those of you interested in following the
progress of this or other named storms, please click on the link
http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc_home.html

Suggested Precautions:

We request all users during the Autumnal Storm Period to ensure their boats
are well secured.

We recommend the following precautions:
  a.. Increasing the number of robust lines, particularly spring lines and
ensuring good chafe protection.
  b.. For Chafe protection we suggest unslit hose slid over your lines, as
opposed to leather, placed at any potential wear spots and that the chafe
protectors are secured from becoming dislodged.
  c.. One successful method is to drill a hose with a securing line to
prevent the hose from sliding out of position by tying it to a strong point
such as a cleat.
  d.. Masts: Please ensure your masts are out of phase with your neighbours
by securing your boat so your mast is either forward or aft of your
neighbours boat's mast to reduce the risk of mast clashing.
  e.. Suggest either removing rolled sails or making sure they are tightly
wrapped and well secured with the jib sheets actually wrapped around the
sail a couple of turns and tied down so they can't unroll in high winds.
  f.. Please ensure your boat is not overhanging the walkway as lines
stretch considerably under heavy loading in severe weather.
  g.. Suggest removal of bow anchors which can add to the pitching motion in
severe weather.
  h.. Increasing the number of fenders and placing them low so they are less
likely to ride up.
  i.. Placing fenders between you and your neighbours boat.
  j.. Unplugging from the electrical grid.
  k.. Moving powerboats back so that swim platforms are farther away from
the dock.
  l.. Tie outboards tightly to your cleats or other strong point to take
some pressure off the mounting bracket hardware.
  m.. Lowering dodgers and sunshades to reduce windage.
  n.. Lines: Tightening/pretensioning all lines, particularly spring lines,
and most particularly the spring line to the walkway between you and your
neighbour's boat as this 1) reduces roll and 2) helps support the finger
docks you are tied to in extreme weather.
The above precautions, if followed, have in the past been found to be
effective in reducing the possibility of storm damage.

Please contact either the Manager, John Hanson, or any LPMA Director should
you have any questions.

Many thanks in advance for your cooperation.

For the LPMA Board of Directors.

Lorn Newton, LPMA President

John Birch, LPMA Director (Secretary)

Please reply to J Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca