[Public-list] Re: storm warnings

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Wed Sep 14 09:02:46 PDT 2005

You should really take off any roller-reefed jibs, as it is nearly
impossible to last them securely all the way to the masthead and it's
far easier to just take one off. We had a (fortunately old) jib blow out
at the top during Isabel and had to listen all night as it flogged
itself apart.  We are in a well-sheltered hurricane hole, and the main,
well-covered and  lashed, was not a problem, though if we were on a
mooring I'd remove it. Certainly close all seacocks except the
self-drains in the cockpit. Allow for water level to rise - we went up
seven feet in Isabel - when checking lines.

- Gordon
Brigadoon II # 276