[Public-list] Pipe Berths?

Brian Palmer Bpalmer at DigitalArsenal.com
Mon Sep 19 09:41:28 PDT 2005

Adrian,

My Alberg (#288) has a pipe berth, but I don't have it in the boat now
to show photos.  I can describe it though.  It is a heavy canvas
material over aluminium pipes, as John described.  There are wood U
shaped brackets that bolt to the bulkheads under the 3 side cabinets
(on the port side in the main cabin).  The brackets under the cabinets
are actually doubled up like a UU shape so you can store both pipes
under the cabinets when not in use.  A single U set of brackets are
closer to the center line of the boat.  When in use, the berth pulls
about 2 feet above the settee berth, covering the icebox door.  The
lower bunk is pretty tight in this case.  One nice thing you can do it
move the outer pipe inward about 2-3 inches to the 2nd bracket which
is normally used to store the 2nd pipe.  By making the bunk a little
narrower, it sags the bunk, making it hold you in place better when
the boat is healed over.  When in storage, it covers over the
top-loading storage behind the settee seats.

One thing you could consider for 3 smaller kids would be a V-birth
insert.  We have 3 plywood boards and a foam triangle that fills in
between the V-birth bunks.  It's roomy enough for 3 kids who get
along.

-Brian
L'Esprit #288