[Public-list] Painting teak toerails

Gail DeMoss gdemoss at alberg30.org
Tue Sep 20 07:59:13 PDT 2005

SwiftLaw at aol.com wrote:

>Perhaps a heretical suggestion and not to raise the ire of the purists (
>which I once considered my self)  this year I used high gloss Seatol, one  coat
>fabulous varnish like luster all season.

Many years ago I used Cetol (the kind for outdoors/decks/homes) and it
was great.  Used 3 or 4 coats and it lasted a long time.  But, in time
it did turn dark.  So, I switched to Armada.  Armada is horrid.  Armada
2000 was even "horrider"!  It didn't turn dark because it never stayed
on long enough.  After one summer it was peeling like crazy and at that
point I just let it go.  Now after 2 years it is mostly all off.  I will
scrub the teak with Fantastic with Bleach, heat gun it and scrape what
little is left, sand with fine sandpaper and then apply 4 coats of Cetol
- Marine.  Of course this will all get done before the Fall Cruise in 10
day!  NOT.  But, that is the plan.  Best to do in non-humid weather with
a temperature around 70 and a gentle breeze.  Although I am beginning to
get rather fond of the silver gray look.

Gail Dinwiddie
Calypso #543

--
 Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
 that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the