[Public-list] Painting teak toerails

Elaine and Brian Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Tue Sep 20 15:05:35 PDT 2005

I think the Armada / Cetol argument is all a matter of taste and proper
application. I used Armada on my Alberg and it lasted fine (1 refinish coat
a season). I use Armada (original, not 2000 or gloss) on my current boat
with miles of teak trim on deck. Following the directions, I cleaned /
sanded the wood and applied three coats (no sanding in between). Lasted fine
through summer, fall and winter exposure. This past spring, my wife wiped it
all down with maroon scotchbrite pads and applied one maintenance coat.
Through the end of spring and all summer (so far), it looks great and we get
continual compliments.
  On the other hand, I've seen Cetol peel after one year similar to Gail
seeing Armada peel. Go Figure! I'll stick with my Armada. (P.S. I started
using this stuff years ago, when it was first discussed and recommended on
this list)
Regards,
Brian ex#497