[Public-list] Prepare for Hurricane Olivia

Kristofer Coward kris at math.toronto.edu
Wed Sep 14 10:56:25 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 11:32:32AM -0400, Gordon Laco wrote:
> You may want to strip off all your halyards but one - which you will use for
> the bosun's chair later to put them back up.  Stripping the halyards
> significantly reduces your rig's windage.  You likely want to get the boom
> off and stow it below too.  I would make fender boards to beef up your
> protection from your dock...to do that you take pairs of fenders and lash
> them to solid planks.  Hang them with the plank toward the dock and with the
> fenders against your hull.

After my first time up the mast, one of the older sailors at my club
suggested that I use 2 halyards for the bosun's chair as a safety precaution
against one of them breaking. Although it increases either the number of
people required, or the amount of time taken (you can always haul one
halyard up a few feet, cleat it, haul the other, repeat) it still strikes me
as a pretty good idea.

Cheers,
Kris Coward
Candy Cane #583