[Public-list] Re: Painting the Toerail

dan walker dsailormon at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 22 14:12:41 PDT 2005

i guess i am a masochist, i actually enjoy doing the varnish.
dan

JohnI <a30blueteal at gmail.com> wrote:
Gord, No problem. I saw you at the Portland show a year or so ago and
thought your stuff was great. Traditional is good.
After pondering this discussion a bit more, it dawned on me that there are
some very beautiful classic wooden boats here in Maine that have paint
covering some very beautiful wood. Herreshoff even painted beautiful wood
white on the interiors of his boats. So, to somebody's eye, the idea of
using paint on wood was ok. In many cases the paint was put on by a
traditional woodern boatbuilder who more than most would be concerned about
maintaining "traditional good looks" on a boat. So, that's the question I'm
grappling with now. Why would it be aesthetically "acceptable" to paint the
topsides, bulwarks, decks, masts, interior, etc. of a beautifully crafted
wooden boat, but not the toe rail of an Alberg 30?