[Public-list] re: "let me race?"was another outboard discussion

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Fri Sep 30 15:23:42 PDT 2005

J Bergquist wrote:
> I told Tim Williams this morning that there's much more difference between
> my results and Towney's than a couple of hundred pounds displacement and a
> missing propeller. The winners win chiefly because they're good sailors, not
> because their equipment is advantageous. At least, that's my opinion.

You're right.  No one will protest you until you beat them.  ;-)  But
isn't this all a bit academic?  Or have you been out racing?

Anyway, you can always leave a nonfunctional engine in place.

  - George

P.S. When you come to your senses, you'll realize that you can re-power
with an Atomic 4 for a lot less than $4K.  Don Moyer's prices are on the
top end of the scale--probably worth it for an essentially brand new
engine.  You can pick up a running Atomic 4 for around $1k, I think, and
probably less if you're in the right place at the right time.

For that matter, I've got a very rusty and jerry-rigged Atomic 4 in the
boat that runs like a top, and another in better shape in the basement
that needs rebuilding.  If I can get that swap made this winter, I'll
give you the old one.

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                                             'The Middle' by Ogden Nash