[Public-list] re: "let me race?"was another outboard discussion

dickdurk at atlanticbb.net dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Fri Sep 30 15:45:24 PDT 2005

>The part of the one-design concept I don't get is why >some people think that
>rules should be set in stone and will never need to >change or be clarified
>over time.

It's pretty simple, really. The concept is sailing skill
decides who wins the race, not who has the best equipment.
There have been some changes in the A30 rules since I've
taken notice (notably draft control in the Mainsail), but
you are proposing removing a 430 odd lb. chunk of iron and
replacing with a 75 lb. removable aluminum casting. What I
don't get is why you don't see that as an unfair
advantage.

>In the same way, the framers of the
>American Constitution
> had no idea that they should include laws about software
>patents, genetic
> engineering and other kinds of modern technological (and
>legal) issues.

Ummm, the framers were interested in limiting the power of
the Federal gov't; in that context laws about software
etc. are unnecessary. Sorry (to the list) but my button
got pushed on that one.

>In order for one
> design class rules and the boats they describe to remain
>relevant and alive,
> they must be able to change with the times as well.

I understand your concern-declining participation in class
starts, I don't believe forcing every potential racer to
change the fundamental nature of the boat will solve that
concern. I, myself, would love to see a lead keel and
internal halyards. That is just not what the A30 one
design is.

Michael Grosh