[Public-list] Public-list Digest, Vol 633, Issue 2

Cole, Andrew L andrew.cole at llff.com
Tue Apr 4 09:28:45 PDT 2006

It seems that the combination of a traditional tether, combined with
some way to disconnect an autopilot (i.e. a way to make the boat stop
the trolling for sharks, or at least slow it down) makes some sense.  I
suppose you could tie the tiller/autopilot disconnect line to the
harness, but you would need to do it in such a way so as not to
disconnect the tillerpilot as you move around the boat.

I have not swum off the Alberg yet, can you reach any of the stanchions
from the water?  It would seem a short length of line that could be tied
into a foot-loop at one end and tied around the stanchion or something
else on the rail could be a makeshift safety ladder that would help a
tired but conscious (i.e. having been dragged for a bit before able to
disconnect the tillerpilot with his tripline...) swimmer out of the
water.  The line could be permanently attached to the safety harness.

Has there ever been any single-handed Alberg racing on the Chesapeake?
With all this talk, it seems like a lot of folks are already out there
alone from time to time.

Andrew

>I feel that all this talk of trailing lines is unrealistic.  25 or 30
feet of line would give about 3 seconds for the
>person thrown into the water to get to the surface, orient themselves
and swim to the trailing line.  I wouldn't
>want to bet my life on all of that happening.  Even if you did manage
to disconnect the autopilot from the tiller,
>your boat will head to windward but I bet it will not stop.  If you are
now swimming, fully clothed and hopefully
>with a now inflated PFD,  I don't think you will ever catch your boat.

>I think what we need to concentrate on is going on deck with a tether
that will not let us get overboard should
>we fall  -  get in the habit of using it  -  then put all these
unpleasant thoughts to rest and just enjoy the sailing.

Cole, Andrew L
Admitted in Maryland, Virginia & Florida
One Corporate Center
10451 Mill Run Circle, Suite 1000
Baltimore MD 21117

tel: 410 581-7408
fax: (410) 581-7410
mob: (410) 206-3577

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for public-list at alberg30.org. If you are not public-list at alberg30.org you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify andrew.cole at llff.com immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Cole, Andrew L therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.