[Public-list] slab reefing, boom vang

The Rochets rochet at gulfislands.com
Thu Apr 20 16:52:56 PDT 2006

Bob and Gord,

You're both right about jiffy reefing needing only two grommets for each
reef and about the "in between" grommets (those between the tack and the
clew grommets) being used only to tie in the bunt, with no load on them.
That's how I reef the main on my present boat (a Tanzer 26). So, I agree
that my mention of "rows of reef points" was misleading.

Now, I am considering getting an Alberg 30 and I probably will want to go to
slab reefing instead of the original roller reefing.

Do you know if there are any guidelines about how high above the foot of the
main the two grommets for each of the two reefs should be (I assume that two
reefs is standard)?

And do you know how far from the mast the boom vang should hook onto the
boom to achieve maximum purchase?

Thanks again,

Bernard