[Public-list] Public-list Digest, Vol 633, Issue 2

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Apr 4 10:20:56 PDT 2006

I agree Pete,

It's a lot easier to pick yourself  up off the deck than it is to climb out
of the water.  Our 'model' for safety puts the emphasis on staying on board.

Doing a man overboard drill is a real eye-opener for inexperienced sailors.
Everybody should do them periodically.  In our family the drill involves a
life jacket being thrown over while I or another of us goes to sit in the
cabin.  The remaining crew then do the Adamson or Williamson Turn* and make
the pick up.  When I am the one in the cabin I am always proud (and
relieved) at how expeditiously they perform the manoeuvre.

* google the terms for complete descriptions on the Canadian Coast Guard
website.

Gord #426