[Public-list] Roller Reefing Boom

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Apr 17 08:06:17 PDT 2006

Hi Pete -

I agree that once you work out a routine, slab or jiffy reefing is easy
(although I would recommend that you haul taut the forward tack line first,
set up the halyard then haul down the aft/clew line - you may have meant
that!)

There are thousands of sailors around who will pound the bar and spill beer
about how they prefer the old '60's roller furling - so you certainly could
get by a season or so with it.  Two things there is no debate about - the
roller system offers a rotten sail shape - actually getting baggier as you
reef down instead of flatter...and it will ruin a sail since the new clew
and tack are at un-reinforced places.

Any sport worth its salt develops characters with ingrained prejudices -
what would be the fun otherwise???

Gord #426 ;)