[Public-list] replacing spreaders

John Brugeman johnbrugeman at ameritech.net
Tue Apr 25 07:32:13 PDT 2006

Made duplicates  out of white oak with alluminum caps at both ends.  Mast ends fit into the original sockets with a pine and the stay ends have a slot for the cable with a removable cap that screws into place when the mast is down.  I put a couple of coats of good varnish on them every couple of years and have had them for almost twenty years and they are still in very good shape.

  Mermaid #365

George Mathis <georage at comcast.net> wrote:
  Mine are dry rotted and need replacement. I searched past posts but
could not find any info, but surely someone else has had to replace
theirs. Did you just cut them out of wood and cap them off with
aluminum to prevent splitting?

For now I cannot afford aluminum replacements, so was hoping to make my own.

Thanks for the continuing help! #439 thanks you.

-- George