[Public-list] Replacing Spreaders

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Thu Apr 27 11:26:50 PDT 2006

Re: [Public-list] replacing spreaders

Hello A-30 people,

In the 20 years I've had my (1966) A-30, I've made a couple of new
spreaders. Oak is definitely the way to go because it is so rot
resistant. The key thing that I *finally* figured out 7 or 8 years ago
is to remove the spreaders before putting on the tarps for the winter.
Since then I haven't seen any of the weakening at the attach points. So
I don't anticipate making any more spreaders for a long time now. The
tarps were putting a download on the spreaders which greatly shortened
their lives, even though they had the original aluminum plate doublers
epoxied on where the bolts go through.

--Dan Sternglass
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
dans at stmktg.com