[Public-list] Cockpit coamings revisited.

David Parkes davidparkes at ns.aliantzinc.ca
Sun Aug 13 17:46:12 PDT 2006

"Sapphira" (#417) is now in Halifax, NS, and I'm about to start refinishing
the exterior teak.  For the toe rails, and stern rail I intent to clean them
with a teak cleaner and water, then sand the raised grain and apply Tung
oil.  However the cockpit coamings seem to be covered with many coats of
Cetol, or something similar, and look very old and tired, although solid
with no splits.  I'm looking for advice on how to remove the old finish
without removing the coamings (having read all the interesting postings
about removing and/or replacing them).  Any suggestions?
David Parkes.
P.S For notes about our trip from Vermont to Trois Rivieres you may wish to
visit http://sailing-home.blogspot.com