[Public-list] Mast rake. Ventilation

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 21 08:03:21 PDT 2006

Thanks to all regarding your advice and warnings regarding shroud tension. My mast support beam is doing very well, thank you. (Better than MY mast support, but I digress.)

  New subject: Ventilation.(I mentioned this before but got few responses)

  Has anyone changed the ventilation sysem of the cabin? We are usually moored to a slip so don't point into the wind. We have no louvers in the companionway boards. We have a 3 inch cowl vent, always pointing forward, on a dorade box directly over the head. We have a solar Powervent 3000 on the deck directly in front of the forward hatch. We HAD a 3 inch diameter, 10 inch high, metal screw-in cowl vent that could be turned 360 degrees over the anchor rode locker. One of the disturbed underprivaliged kids we take out threw it overboard. Before I replace it, I am considering alternatives.

  A dorade box above the rode locker would get stepped on under the sails. A solar vent in that location would be subject to "green water" in a storm. I don't think that I really need to vent the rode locker as we seldom get the rode wet so there is little smell. There is not much room on the cabin top for another Powervent with the fan blade blowing the opposite direction from the existing vents. It seems that louvers in the companionway boards is the way to start.

  Has anyone used plastic or metal louvers in the companionway boards?

  Ed. Schroeder #303