[Public-list] Mast rake and shroud tension

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 08:00:26 PDT 2006

I agree with Mike too. My only question would be: can we define too loose
and too tight, in terms of tension?

This has been a subject of some confusion for me since I got my boat. It
would be nice to have guidelines that include numbers. What I have seen in
the past shows a pretty wide range...

Also, I think that rake is not the same as bend. I agree with what Mike says
that the A30 mast won't bend because it's too stiff. I have never thought of
adjusting the rake on my boat, but I know that rake is a pretty critical
adjustment for most sailboats because it has a major effect on the
longitudinal position of the sailplan's center of effort, which affects
balance while sailing, particularly upwind sailing. It also affects jib
sheeting angle for a constant jib lead position (of course most all of us
have adjustable jib leads so this is not as important).

Anyway, I'd be interested to know if anybody ever experimented with
different rake #'s and if so, how did they measure rake (mast tip to bow, or
to transom, or what?).

Later,

JB