[Public-list] Canadian rules re Visiting Boats

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sat Aug 5 03:53:27 PDT 2006

Hi Gordon,
The CG isn't trying to be difficult, I think they are just sick and tired of
all the stupid that goes on out on the water, the needless risk of some of
the SAR requests and just far too many preventable death's.

Re US or other Foreign Pleasure Boats Visiting or operating in Canadian
waters

Below is from Transport Canada's Website
http://www.tc.gc.ca/boatingsafety/oc-faq.htm#1

What is acceptable proof of competency for non-residents? ^
For non-residents, proof of competency can take one of three forms:

  1.. A Pleasure Craft Operator Card;
  2.. A completed boat rental safety checklist (for power-driven rental
boats); or,
  3.. An operator card or equivalent issued by their state or country*.
*NASBLA issued cards are recognized for citizens of the United States.
Do the Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations apply to
non-residents? ^

The Regulations apply to non-residents if:

  a.. They operate their pleasure craft in Canadian waters for more than 45
consecutive days or,
  b.. They operate a pleasure craft that is licensed or registered in Canada
(including rented or chartered boats).
The Regulations do not apply to non-residents who operate their pleasure
craft (licensed in a country other than Canada) in Canadian waters for less
than 45 consecutive days. Please note that a proof of residence will be
required on board at all times.

If you require more information on how Canadian requirements apply to
non-residents visit the Requirements for Foreign Recreational Boaters In
Canadian Waters.

Hope this is a help.

Cheers,
John