[Public-list] bow roller for cqr anchor

David Terrell dterrell at message.nmc.edu
Tue Aug 8 19:37:43 PDT 2006

my results are similar - very little projection.

>>> <mainstay at csolve.net> 08/08/06 5:38 PM >>>
Hello all,

There are many stock bow rollers that will fit.  Generally I think it is

usually a mistake to mount oversize gear on any bow partly because you
don't really need oversize; but mostley because catilevering the roller
assembly way out from the bow plate creates bad leverage on the bow
plate you have bolted the thing to when the boat is pitching at anchor.

I chose an obsolete Ronstan fitting because it was the smallest that
would hold my 25lb CQR.  It projects only a few inches, and has enough
plate on the back end for me to drive five bolts into my bow plate,
which I drilled and tapped.

Wharf vultures at my club came by while I was mounting it shaking their
heads forecasting that I would wish I had mounted a bigger and longer
one... I have to wonder why.  The one we have is massivly strong,
doesn't spoil the look of the boat and does the job well.

Cheers - Gord #426 Surprise

PS I am in BC again now on holidays this time - backsliding badly
looking at wooden boats...Don't tell Surprise she will get jealous and
do something to get even with me.