[Public-list] bow roller for cqr anchor

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Wed Aug 9 08:23:23 PDT 2006

Someone asked why one would have any more overhang than the minimum for a
bow roller. I would suggest there is a balance between the cantilever of the
overhang and the amount of expected swing of the proposed anchor to be used.
Insufficient projection means the anchor will likely bang on the hull as the
boat bobs while retrieving or launching. Too much overhang results in
excessive loading due to cantilevering on the fittings. Like everything is
sailing, its a balancing act.

Our forward roller is about 8" fwd of the bow, the second on the port side
of the bow about 5-6" - either anchor can be launched independent of the
other. On our A-37 Sunstone, when cruising, we carry a primary 45lb CQR in
the Stb Bow Roller and a 33lb Bruce in the Port bow roller. We have large
flange cheeks on the roller to keep the anchor,  chain & rodes captive so it
can't jump off the roller and chew the hull. It is a custom design drawn by
me and fabricated by Klacko Spars in Oakville Ontario Canada. The cost was
not much more than a pair of off the shelf robust rollers. In polished
stainless, it looks quite nice and we have had a lot of compliments - it
does not detract from the aesthetics of the bow and in fact compliments it.

Just my 2 Canadian cents worth - which at the current exchange rate is
rapidly approaching the value of 2 US cents ; )

Fair winds and following seas to all,

John