[Public-list] bow roller for cqr anchor

David Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Thu Aug 10 09:01:26 PDT 2006

my solution does not project much - I wanted a maximum of support. I do
have problems with the anchor banging the bow. Thanks for the insight.

>>> "John Birch" <Sunstone at cogeco.ca> 08/09/06 11:23 AM >>>
Someone asked why one would have any more overhang than the minimum for
bow roller. I would suggest there is a balance between the cantilever
of the
overhang and the amount of expected swing of the proposed anchor to be
used.
Insufficient projection means the anchor will likely bang on the hull
as the
boat bobs while retrieving or launching. Too much overhang results in
excessive loading due to cantilevering on the fittings. Like everything
is
sailing, its a balancing act.

Our forward roller is about 8" fwd of the bow, the second on the port
side
of the bow about 5-6" - either anchor can be launched independent of
the
other. On our A-37 Sunstone, when cruising, we carry a primary 45lb CQR
in
the Stb Bow Roller and a 33lb Bruce in the Port bow roller. We have
large
flange cheeks on the roller to keep the anchor,  chain & rodes captive
so it
can't jump off the roller and chew the hull. It is a custom design
drawn by
me and fabricated by Klacko Spars in Oakville Ontario Canada. The cost
was
not much more than a pair of off the shelf robust rollers. In polished
stainless, it looks quite nice and we have had a lot of compliments -
it
does not detract from the aesthetics of the bow and in fact compliments
it.

Just my 2 Canadian cents worth - which at the current exchange rate is
rapidly approaching the value of 2 US cents ; )

Fair winds and following seas to all,

John