[Public-list] Mast rake and shroud tension

JOHN GRAVES jg1111 at msn.com
Sun Aug 20 19:10:32 PDT 2006

Edward:
A word of caution. Be very careful tuning the rig of an Alberg 30. Over tightening the shrouds can cause serious damage. With a deck stepped mast and the main beam problems that A30's have you can easily bend the beam and cause the mast to push the deck in. Cruising rigs should be loose. An A30 is basically a cruising boat. It is raced, but not in the same way that the typical racing sailboat is raced, with tight rigging and adjustable rake, mast bend, etc. Keep the shrouds loose, but secure, with even tension.
John Graves