[Public-list] tar stains

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Aug 27 17:52:39 PDT 2006

brooks.glenn at comcast.net wrote:
> Try a product called Ospho, its a green liquid which chemically
> alters iron oxide into iron phosphate, which is dusty white in color
> and can be somewhat scrubbed off.

According to the manufacturer, "OSPHO causes iron oxide (rust) to
chemical change to iron phosphate - an inert, hard substance that turns
the metal black. Where rust is exceedingly heavy, two coats of OSPHO may
be necessary to thoroughly penetrate and blacken the surface to be
painted. A dry powdery, grayish - white surface usually develops; this
is normal - brush off any loose powder before paint application."

I think the loose powder is excess Ospho, and by-products of it giving
up it's phosphorous to the iron oxide.

I wouldn't recommend it for cleaning rust stains on fiberglass.  The
usual recommendation for rust stains is oxalic acid.  The cleanser ZUD
contains this, but is also abrasive.

> From: Villo Marmei <marmei_v at pathcom.com>
>> Now that we are on this subject....
>> How does one remove Iron Rust stains ?? Some one, way back must have ground
>> some iron inside my lockers and the wall have a fair amount of this orangy
>> ugly stains.

I'm not convinced these are rust stains.  It's not uncommon for water
penetration to leach compounds through the fiberglass, whether from
byproducts of the resin, a rotting core, or the auto-body compound that
Whitby often used for interior fairing.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.