[Public-list] Ballast location

David Van Denburgh denburgh at andrews.edu
Wed Dec 6 07:15:18 PST 2006

I own hull number 48, and I'm wondering where the iron ballast is located in the keel.  I would assume it's primarily at the forward part of the keel, extending aft three feet or so.  Is this accurate?  A related question: What is below the bilge in the engine compartment and just forward of the engine compartment floor - that is, the transverse glassed in structure that supports the cabin sole?  The resin in the area is cracked and clearly porous.  Is this area designed to shed water through the garboard drain?  Do most A30s have a garboard drain installed or is mine likely from a previous owner?

Apologies for the barrage of questions.  I hope they're clear.

Thanks!
David