[Public-list] Delta anchor question

Bill Burke BurkeNH at verizon.net
Tue Dec 19 18:58:35 PST 2006

Anyone using a delta anchor as their primary anchor?  I'm curious as to the size.  I used a 35 lb delta with my previous boat, a 37' trimaran.  Much higher windage but 2000 lbs less displacement when fully loaded for long term cruising than a light A30.  The 35 lb delta performed flawlessly in a variety of bottoms, much better than the 45 lb CQR I also carried.  So good in fact, that I'm considering possibly downsizing to a 22 lb delta for the A30.  Yes, I know bigger is always better, but I'm feeling like a 22 might be plenty adequate for the A30.  Lewmar rates the 22 for 25-41 foot boats, which seems to leave plenty of room for even a heavy displacement A30.  Less weight on the bow, and even more importantly at the end of the 40' of 5/16 chain when hauling it in by hand are considerations.  Anyone using a 22 lb delta?  Thoughts?
Thanks,
Bill Burke