[Public-list] Wooden rudders on old Albergs

Hugh McCormack hugh_alberg at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 15 16:09:31 PST 2006

Hello Dan,

Thank you for your response.  I checked a number of yards in southern
Ontario and got quotes ranging from $1600 to $3200 for repair or replacement
of the blade.  No one was prepared to repair the blade while it was still on
the boat and their quotes did not include the costs of removing/reinstalling
of the rudder.  They didn't want to discuss that until they knew what they
were getting into.  Trucking costs would have added another $1600+ to most
of the quotes except the quote for $1600.  That yard was far enough from
Lake Ontario that I would have had to pay roughly $2000+ to truck the boat
to the yard and then from the yard to a launch point on Lake Ontario.  The
cost to truck the boat home to Newfoundland was estimated at $10000 to
$12000 unless they could find another boat coming east at the same time.

If I lived in Ontario I would drop the rudder or remove the blade and do the
work myself.  I think that the work is within my abilities.  Unfortunately I
am too far away from the boat to run over and do this.

As I indicated in my answer to Don's post, the rudder seems to be quite
solid with the exception of the separated joint.  I can't really see any
problems provided my "splint" works the way I think it should.  Having said
that, I am open to advice and suggestions from anyone on the list.  I am
hoping, also, that my suggested method for removing the blade will actually
work.  If so, it will simplify the repairs when I do get the boat home.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the problem that you encountered with
Rascal that caused you aggravation?

Regards,

Hugh

>From: dan walker <dsailormon at yahoo.com>
>To: Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all <public-list at lists.alberg30.org>
>Subject: Re: [Public-list] Wooden rudders on old Albergs
>Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:02:36 -0800 (PST)
>
>hugh, just curious.if the boat is out of the water now, why would you not
>just put the boat on a truck now and ship to the yard that you or a
>"trained professional" will do the ultimate repair/fix. then you would have
>the whole 2007 season for sailing in your home waters knowing the rudder is
>in good condition. i want to make that trip someday, but would rather know
>my rudder is good when i start.
>   dan
>   ps,in my case, if i had pulled the plug and shipped rascal home sooner i
>would have saved some money and a lot of aggravation

Off to school, going on a trip, or moving? Windows Live (MSN) Messenger lets
you stay in touch with friends and family wherever you go. Click here to
find out how to sign up!  http://www.live.com/?mkt=en-ca