[Public-list] dodger

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 08:12:22 PST 2006

Jay-

Unfortunately, Iverson does not make dodgers anywhere but in the Seattle
area. Since I am in Annapolis, MD they would not build one for me. I have an
enquiry in to see if I can get them to make me a frame and ship it to me.
But I need measurements which I plan to take on the boat today. I am hoping
maybe somebody in the Annapolis area who has a dodger would let me come and
measure it to get some ideas.

However, I am definitely trying to incorporate some of their design ideas
into my dodger. I am working with several different vendors to get
information about the tubing and so forth. I have had good luck working with
Atlantic Spars and Rigging on Severn Avenue in Annapolis for aluminum and
stainless work, and I have also requested a quote from them for a dodger
frame.

Building a dodger appears to be not overly difficult. Once you have the
frame it is really a matter of making the patterns, cutting them out, sewing
them together, and managing the details. I am confident that I can do a good
job with everything except the frame, so that is the sticking point for me.
I really like the 3-point welded aft grab rail on the iverson's dodgers. I
also like the large radius curve in the bows, which improves visibility
around the side of the doger. SailRite has a 10" radius in their bows which
seems small to me and they can sell you a grab rail but it is bolt on and
only at 2 points. They do not appear to sell a side grab rail kit, which is
another feature that I really like. Although I am actively working with one
of their salesmen to find out the answers to my questions.

I will keep you posted on what I find out and what I decide to do.

Kind regards,

JB