[Public-list] Delta anchor question

Jay Davenport jay at saildriver.com
Wed Dec 20 04:29:17 PST 2006

Bill,

  I have used a 22# Delta on my A30 for about three years. Previously I had used a Fortess. The Fortress has incredible holding power, but it does not always reset reliably if anchored overnight and the boat clocks around the anchor. Also it can be difficult to get it to set initially in a leaf or debris-covered bottom.

  The Delta I am now using, and which I carry on a bow roller, has 25' of 5/16" chain. It has set and held well in all my experience with it, with only one exception. That was in Somers Cove in Crisfield. That is a poor holding area due to so many boats having anchored there over time, and I dragged. That was 3 years ago and it never happened again.

  If it wasn't for the cost, I might try a Spade anchor, but my current #1 and #2 are Delta and Fortress.

  Jay Davenport
  Revolution, A30 #526

Bill Burke <BurkeNH at verizon.net> wrote:
  Anyone using a delta anchor as their primary anchor? I'm curious as to the size. I used a 35 lb delta with my previous boat, a 37' trimaran. Much higher windage but 2000 lbs less displacement when fully loaded for long term cruising than a light A30. The 35 lb delta performed flawlessly in a variety of bottoms, much better than the 45 lb CQR I also carried. So good in fact, that I'm considering possibly downsizing to a 22 lb delta for the A30. Yes, I know bigger is always better, but I'm feeling like a 22 might be plenty adequate for the A30. Lewmar rates the 22 for 25-41 foot boats, which seems to leave plenty of room for even a heavy displacement A30. Less weight on the bow, and even more importantly at the end of the 40' of 5/16 chain when hauling it in by hand are considerations. Anyone using a 22 lb delta? Thoughts?
Thanks,
Bill Burke