[Public-list] Delta anchor question

Taylor Echlin taylor at echlinvests.com
Wed Dec 20 06:05:31 PST 2006

I bought a 10 kg Delta (that's 22 lbs) 3 years ago for my boat.  We cruise
in the Bay of Quinte and Thousand Islands - and the anchorages are quite
weedy with mud bottoms.  I bought the Delta because my Bruce anchor broke
out several times in such bottoms.

The Delta is tremendous.  It digs in immediately (that's why they call it
quick set) and holds.  We use 35 feet of chain with nylon rode.

Being one piece the Delta is easy to manage as well.

In July we anchored at Witlow Point in anticipation of a bad storm.  Winds
were 60 knots plus - with a 5 minute gust of close to 80 knots.  We had let
out 12 to 1 scope.  The boat broached at anchor and put the lee rail in the
water.  The anchor held solidly.

There were two Corbins beside us with all chain rode.  They both broke out
and dragged for more than 500 metres.  They probably didn't have enough
scope.

An Alberg  22 was near us as well.  She let out lots of scope and didn't
move.

A lone fisherman drowned in that storm.

The 10 kg Delta works well on an  Alberg 30.  It's not too heavy to haul up
by hand and it's easy to manage.  I would highly recommend it.

Taylor
--
Taylor Echlin
le papillon  KC 612