[Public-list] Delta anchor question

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Dec 20 06:47:50 PST 2006

That's quite an endorsement... Although Corbins are the archetypical
floating bathtubs of the yachting world...  I doubt any single anchor would
hold one in a squall.

Is Witlow Point on Hay Bay?  I think I know the place.

Re broaching ... Our Alberg hunts back and forth a lot when at anchor in a
blow.  To ease things we strip the genoa off the furler to lose its windage.
But the boat is still unstable at anchor with the higher freeboard forward
and the mast somewhat forward.  I have a tiny Mirror Class dinghy jib that
we set on the backstay as a riding sail - that makes her ride rock solid at
anchor with her head to wind.  I used to worry that the sail would increase
the load on the anchor - it may - but it may also be more important to
eliminate the hard yanks on the anchor that happen at the end of each shear
to port and starboard.  We sheet it in hard on the centre line, with the
sheets going port and starboard to the end of the cabin top hand rails.

If you wish to see a picture look at this month's Great Lakes Alberg Assoc
newsletter on the site - there is a picture there.

Gord #426