[Public-list] Roller Furling gear

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 31 08:56:36 PST 2006

You might want to do some explorations on things like parts availability
and costs, and then look at things like foil entry characteristics with
respect to heavy and light air conditions, and the engineering for
lateral loading, particularly at the lower attachment point. Since you
sail a Finn, I suspect you will want as much performance as you can get
, so foil shape may matter more to you than it does for most cruisers. I
race with a furling system foil on the forestay and have never felt it
hurt performance regardless of wind strength, but mine is not circular.
    I'm with Gord for forestay tension and that is by using backstay
adjustment. The set up you need for the forestay length is your desired
rake, if any, that you want in the mast. You might also want to measure
your foresails so that the luff will fit without  modifications to sail
luff length, if possible. (Thus, high attachment points for a drum are
difficult to match sail length to if the sailmaker has used all the
available luff length for the hank-ons).
Don