[Public-list] Denatured alcohol

Hugh McCormack hugh_alberg at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 22 11:52:31 PST 2006

Good day all,

It has been 30 years since I failed organic chemistry so my knowledge is a
bit rusty!  However if I recall correctly, methyl hydrate is the same as
methanol or methyl alcohol, ethanol is the same as ethyl alcohol, propyl
alcohol is the same as propanol.

Methyl alcohol is poisonous, ethyl alcohol is the alcohol we drink (and can
be poisonous in large amounts), denatured alcohol is ethyl alcohol with
methyl added to it to render it poisonous, propyl alcohol is also known as
rubbing alcohol and it, too, is poisonous.

I am not sure what the heat output would be from the different types of
alcohols (methyl, ethyl or propyl) but methyl is a single Carbon compound,
ethyl is a 2 Carbon compound and propyl is 3.  There are other chemical
differences as well but I don't have my chemistry texts to find out.
Purhaps someone else will jump in on this.

I  would suggest that whatever you can get at the cheapest price per volume
is what will work.  Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Hugh
Alberg #39

Download now! Visit http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/ to enter and see
how cool it is to get Messenger with you on your cell phone.
http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/