[Public-list] Lazyjacks

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Sun Jan 8 11:17:20 PST 2006

I also have full battened sails and the strong system and could not be
more pleased. The only problem I have had with lazy jacks is that they
can get battens can get hung up in the lines as you hoist the sail. With
practice I have found that if I get the boat heading right into the wind
and pay some attention while I am hoisting the sail, this difficulty
does not arise (often). I am intrigued by all  the different ways
discussed to manage the main sail.

>>> jay at saildriver.com 01/08/06 11:47 AM >>>
On Revolution, I have lazy jacks, a full battened sail (actually 3 full
& 1 partial battens), and the Strong mainsail slide system. Overall I am
very happy with it.

  My original lazy jacks were Harken, but I disliked how they were
engineered (attached at the mast, adjusted on the boom), so I replaced
them with home made. It was a significant improvement, but lazy jacks of
any kind have disadvantages. At some point, I am going to try the
Dutchman system Bob Kirk mentioned. I have heard good things about them,
and I particularly like the idea that they don't have to be stowed and
they don't interfere with raising the sail.

  The full battened sail was a good move, with no downsides as long as
you have articulated batten pockets on the sail.

  The Strong mainsail slide and articulated batten pocket system is
outstanding. The sail raises easier from the cockpit, and it drops like
an elevator when the halyard is released. I find that very important
when single-handing.

  Jay Davenport
  Revolution, A30 #526

Gordon Laco <mainstay at csolve.net> wrote:
  Cool - should be no problem then. You may be able to do away with the
lazy
jacks.

Gord #426 Surprise

> They do - Schaeffer thinks of everything. The weee lazyjack blocks
are Hoit
> Allen's by the way

got
>>> them
>>> for $1.50 have 3 per side - no wear on the sail, they weigh boo all
and