[Public-list] mooring recommendations

Rob Alley 1ralley at comcast.net
Sun Jan 22 10:52:39 PST 2006

There are issues to be considered.

1.  Traffic.  As you know by now, a fact of life in the
Baltimore-Washington corridor.  There is no such thing, anymore, as a
quick exit on Friday PM and a quick return on Sunday PM.  It is no
longer out of the realm of possibility that the amount of time you spend
getting to/from a short sail equals the length of the short sail.

      If time is money for you, consider going south to the creeks along
the upper Potomac.  It's a long way from the Bay, but the Potomac Ocean
is big enough to spend some time getting to know it well.  If you are
connected with the Armed Forces,  you may have more options, as some
bases have marinas--Belvoir, Quantico, perhaps others.  In any case,
there are lots of marinas along the upper Potomac.  You will probably
use the boat more if it is closer to where you live.

2.  How you sail.

    a. If you like to sail in a group of (other Alberg?) people, you
definitely want to be on or near the Bay, as near Annapolis as you can
manage.  You will pay for this convenience in higher slip rents and a
high traffic commute, and it will be worth it--you will never lack for
boat related activities at any time of the year, if that is what you
want.  You will always have help a short distance away.

    b.  Between Harrington Harbor (Herring Bay) near Deale and Solomons
Island on the Western shore there is only one suitable marina, called
Flag Harbor.  If you become interested in this area, call me.

     c.  If you still want access to the Bay, but not necessarily the
high traffic volume commute to the Annapolis area, or the water
traffic,  consider Southern Maryland.  The area which is the Bay's
confluence with the Potomac and the Patuxent is, with reasonable
traffic, about 2 hours from Northern Virginia, perhaps less when the
Wilson Bridge (eventually) gets finished.  Solomons Island is a major
sailing center, and always busy.  The area at the mouth of the Potomac
and its adjacent rivers (St Mary's, Coan, Yeocomico, etc) is still
relatively quiet--often you can sail all day and see only one or two
other boats.  There will be  fewer marinas and no social activities
unless you join one of the local yacht clubs.  Slip rents will be
relatively lower, with fewer amenities outside of Solomons.  Some yards
will allow you to do your own work, which is becoming rarer further
north.  Outside of Solomons, plan to be a self-sufficient sailor in all
weathers, as help is limited.

     d.  There is the Northern Neck of Virginia--but this is getting too
long.

Remember, wherever you end up, to check the controlling water depth for
your marina.  Its a real pain to spend hours getting to your boat, only
to find you can't go anywhere until the wind changes and the tide comes
in--not always unusual in the Chesapeake.  Hope this helps a little.

Rob Alley
Just Past Commodore.....