[Public-list] Lazyjacks

Kristofer Coward kris at melon.org
Fri Jan 20 07:17:42 PST 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 08:54:19AM -0500, Roger L Kingsland wrote:
> Gord,
>
> As usual, I am confused but, this time, about a specific comment you made RE
> dumping the main; "The trough is held up at the outboard end by the reef
> line."  Doesn't the reef line pull DOWN on the sail, so how could it hold
> the trough UP?

I thought the reefing line just held the reefing point close to the
boom. Since, under sail, the mainsheet tends to be pulling the boom
down (as is gravity and/or the vang), a reefed sail is pulled down by
the line. When dumping however, the boom is being held up by the
topping lift, so the reefing line would stop the sail from going too
far down.

At least that's what I get from the mental picture Gord's description
painted in my head.

Cheers,
Kris
Candy Cane #583