[Public-list] winch location

Roger L Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Mon Jul 3 10:14:10 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I have finished the new teak winch bases for #148 that are about an inch lower than the top of the cockpit combing.  I made each side about 30" long with a winch at each end.  The thought is the area in between could be a seat from which to steer the dear while well healed.

My question is where to mount them in the fore/aft dimension.  The old winches were mounted on fiberglass bases that were about a foot forward and aft of the original single winch.  The forward base had a pad eye that must have held the strap holding the dodger aft which makes me wonder how one operated the winch handle with the dodger up.

I was thinking of mounting the primary winch close to the location of the original single winch which will put the secondary winch pretty far aft but leave more space forward for deck access while the dodger is up.  Can anyone shed some light on the subject please.

Roger
PERFECT intentions