[Public-list] Furling Main

Bill Newman newman423 at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 10 06:53:41 PDT 2006

I have a used Alberg mainsail in excellent condition which was made for a first generation furling system, that is, with a wire luff attached to a furling drum and a top swivel.  This was bought at a good price and on a whim at a Yacht Club flee market a few years ago with the thought that it may be useful especially as one ages, it may reduce the work and extend the sailing life.  My question is, has anyone used such a system for mainsail furling and is it practical and effective?  The only hardware I have for it is the furlling drum.  If I was to use it, I will have to find or have fabricated, the top swivel plus the mounting hardware.  I would like to get an idea of how well it may work before having anything made and before doing any installation.  The furling sail is, of course roachless and battenless.
I have not used this system for jib furling but have heard in the past that the problem with it was that if the halyard was brought taught enough for a tight luff that this put so much pressure on the swivel bearings it was hard to furl and unfurl.

Any informed comments will be appreciated.

Bill Newman
Marion Rose III #233