[Public-list] Adequate Inspection of Bronze fittings and SS Chainplates

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 13 09:16:00 PDT 2006

            Hello all,
  Because our boats are getting older and some are loosing their masts I wonder if there is some better way of inspecting standing rigging fittings besides visual?

  My boat inspector just said "replace'em" when referring to my bronze turnbuckles, but they look fine.  John Burgeman just lost his mast because of a failed bronze fitting.

  I know that "Magnaflux" is used on ferrous metals and "Zyglo" is used on Aluminum alloys.  Is there something that we can use to inspect our bronze fittings beyond a careful visual inspection?  I suppose that X-ray would show dark lines if there were fractures and the dye penetrate from the "Zyglo" system might work as well.

  I have enough money to spend on the boat without replacing perfectly usable bronze fittings.................................on the other hand, a mast replacement is something that I would like to avoid.

  What is the consensus of the collective wisdom in Alberg 30 land when it comes to bronze standing rigging fittings?  Does bronze have a "useful" life after-which one is tempting fate to exceed?

  The next issue is the SS chainplates.  I was planning on removing the 1/4" bolts and drilling for the larger 5/16" new bolts while the chainplates are in place.  Should I go ahead and make the effort to remove all the chain plates, after I drill the new holes, to inspect them up close and personal?  What inspection process does the Alberg 30 group recommend for SS chainplates.  Or is this another fitting that one just, without further thought, replaces after 40 years of use?

  All advice/wisdom from the 'collective' is appreciated, ;-)

  Michael
  Lorrie Rose #133