[Public-list] (no subject)

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Sun Jul 16 22:15:06 PDT 2006

I've been wondering alot about residual strength of resin in 38-40 year old Albergs ...???  A lot of plastics break down over time with exposure to UV, similarly, all materials, included bonded/composites, etc all have a finite life span dictated by the number of times the material vibrates, bends and, stresses, etc...

So, how strong are the bonds in the layers which bind the bulkheads to the hull, and the layers in the hull, itself???  -> compared to when the boats were relatively new...

I am thinking about taking my A-30 to Hawaii next year, and going on to Indian ocean and Europe the year after.  I sort of cringe every time I crash through a lumpy sea and hear the glass take the crunchy little impact.  How long can can this glass go on without getting to brittle and breaking...

Anybody contemplated this at all???

regards

Glenn Brooks
Dolce of the Pacific