[Public-list] Atomic 4 compression

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 13:22:34 PDT 2006

Brian-

I had symptoms very similar to what you describe on my engine in the summer
of 2004. I replaced the head gasket and it worked fine for a year after
that. I experienced similar symptoms in the summer of 2005 but still had
solid compression and a brand new carburetor. I discovered that I had
mis-wired 2 of my spark plug wires after replacing distributor cap. So the
motor was running on only 2 cylinders. Boy was that a dumb mistake. But it
might be something for you to check.

I always used premium gas in my atom bomb. My reasoning (which may be
faulty) was it's a very old engine, originally designed for leaded gas use,
so the high-octane fuel would be good for it. Plus the amount of fuel I
burned in a season didn't amount to a hill of beans cost difference between
regular and super.

I always used straight 30 which is what Moyer recommended. Synthetic is
'supposed' to be better, but it costs double. I spose given you only change
the oil once a year, maybe it doesn't matter. Interesting to hear Bob say
that synthetic prevents burning oil. I figured it was good, but didn't know
it would be THAT good.

As far as your engine problem, gas engines basically boil down to 3 things:
spark, fuel, and compression. They all need to co-incide in the right place
at the right time. IF you have that, it should work.

Of course, I told myself that in August 2005, just before I hauled my atom
bomb out of the boat and replaced with a new diesel. Diesel engines only
require 2 things: fuel and compression. So it's one less thing to worry
about...

I am pleased to report to anybody who cares that I successfully sea-trialed
Calliope with the brand new 16 hp beta diesel and 13x8 2-blade propeller on
saturday. We made hull speed at around 2400 RPM, and the new motor starts on
one turn, every time. THAT is very satisfying.

When the engine dealer came to check my final alignment after he pulled his
upper body out from behind the motor he looked at me and said "do you want a
job?"

To be honest, I was quite frankly surprised at 2 things:

1. That the new PSS seal doesn't leak a drop. This I had to see to believe.

2. That the motor is actually aligned, running, and appears to have been
properly installed. I was a bit surprised at myself...not sure I believed
that I could really get the whole job done!

The boat is tied up on the bulkhead at SSA right now. I hope to see all of
you on the water soon!

Your pal,

J Bergquist

Calliope #287