[Public-list] Atomic 4 compression

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Jul 5 17:00:11 PDT 2006

Brian Palmer wrote:
> I'd like to switch to synthetic if nobody can tell me a reason it would be a
> mistake.

I've heard of people having transmission problems after using synthetic
oil in an Atomic 4.  It could be that their transmissions were marginal
anyway, but the transmission depends on friction and shares the oil sump
with the engine.

Using a modern multigrade seems to be OK.

> Also, Bob, you mentioned that you use premium gas.  I was under the
> impression that older engines with lower compression, such as the A4,
> wouldn't benefit from it...

I agree.  Higher octane is to prevent premature ignition in
high-compression engines, which the Atomic 4 isn't.  I've also heard
that high-octane gas tends to leave *more* deposits than regular, but
that's just hearsay.

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash